Head of Media
Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, this a unique opportunity to join the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games as Head of Media to own and cultivate key relationships with media stakeholders locally, nationally and internationally, leading the team that develops and proactively implements coordinated integrated communications and media strategies.
- Placed On
- Tue 16th April, 2019
- 12:00am - Mon 29th April, 2019
About Head of Media
This is a key role, sitting alongside the Head of Marketing and Head of Community Engagement and Legacy, that will both proactively and reactively manage the corporate reputation of the Organising Committee (OC) and the event itself, responsible for making sure the OC effectively, respectfully and decisively manages reputational issues when they arise. Secondly, to work effectively in partnership with Marketing and Community Engagement to ensure all media and communications strategies are integrated, address all target audiences, have news value built in and are implemented as part of a multi-channel campaigning approach.
You will be accountable for the successful development and implementation of the Birmingham 2022 Media Strategy to ensure widespread support for the Games from local, domestic and international media.
You will create and implement an effective News Management Strategy and proactive Media Relations Programme, fostering excellent relations with all key media outlets.
Other responsibilities include:
- Managing the media team's workplan and oversee/supervise all day-to-day media handling, including ensuring the appropriate level sign-off all responses to media enquiries
- Working collaboratively and proactively with Games Partners on a joint communications strategy, calendar and plan, including issues-resolution where needed
- Developing and executing all relevant procurement plans for media services and support and manage performance and delivery of those suppliers
- Creating and delivering strategies that engage key audiences and ensure they understand and support Birmingham 2022's corporate objectives
- Developing and overseeing implementation of all PR activities including management and sign-off of the media grid and production of press releases and media events, launches etc.
- Plan strategic proactive campaigns, media launches, briefings and other promotional events and related media evaluation as required, ensuring Games Partners are always fully briefed and engaged in the process
- Advising and accompanying the OC's senior management team on all media issues, interviews, public activities and preparing questions and answers, briefing material etc as required
- Overseeing the Media team in proactively selling positive stories and ideas to the media and advising on and dealing with potentially negative media issues
- Ensuring the OC has excellent in-person relationships with all sectors of the media
- Overseeing and be part of a quality, responsive out-of-hours cover for media enquiries
The successful candidate will have:
- Substantive relevant experience in design and development of Public Relations communication strategies, plans and tools
- An excellent reputation with media, particularly locally and regionally and a good network of contacts both regionally and nationally
- Demonstrable experience in working in partnership with the marketing function on integrated campaigns
- Senior-level experience of working in a high-profile organisation as Head of Media or equivalent locally or regionally
- Significant experience in managing a high-performing team
- You will be creative and have a 'can do' attitude that enables you to work in a fast-paced environment, frequently under pressure, on multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- You must have a strong ambassadorial skills and political astuteness, particularly in the context of engaging both central and local government as well as local communities.
Higher education qualifications in Media, PR or other relevant discipline
This position is subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
The Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation. We encourage applications from all diverse backgrounds and communities.
For more details, download the job description.
Apply by submitting your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
teamBEDS&LUTON is not responsible for the accuracy of information provided by third-parties and accepts no liability relating to any information contained on the site. If any contact details have been provided, It is recommended that you contact them directly.