Luton Sports Network – Sport and Physical activity COVID-19 Support Fund
The fund aims to deliver immediate funding to those sports clubs and organisations supporting communities to be physically active. It will specifically look to support clubs and organisations to start up their activities again as we come out of lockdown.
About the Sport and Physical Activity Covid-19 Support Fund
The Sport and Physical Activity Covid-19 Support Fund aims to deliver immediate funding to those organisations that need it most. It's specifically targeted at organisations delivering in the sport and physical activity sector, who have a role in supporting Luton residents to be active as we come out of lockdown but are experiencing short term financial hardship as a result of ceasing operations due to the ongoing impact of coronavirus.
The types of organisations eligible include community sports clubs and voluntary organisations who deliver sport and physical activity opportunities. The fund will also consider applications from other organisations who can demonstrate they play their part to deliver or enable physical activity opportunities in Luton.
This fund is designed to complement other sources of funding from the government, such as funds targeted at small businesses, the self-employed, the Sport England Emergency fund and funding available from some National Governing Bodies of Sport. There is an expectation that funding support from the government and those other funding sources outlined above should be considered before applying to this fund. Priority is likely to be given to organisations that have been unable to access funding from other sources such as Government or Sport England.
Who and what we will fund
Organisations delivering sport and physical activity opportunities in Luton who are experiencing short term financial hardship due to the impact of Coronavirus can apply to the fund. In addition, an organisations premises or main base is also likely to be located in Luton.
These organisations include:
- Local sports clubs
- Voluntary, community sector organisations and community interest companies that deliver or enable sport and/or physical activity, including organisations that are not solely or primarily sports organisations and have an important role to play in keeping people active in deprived communities, that may need support for other parts of their organisation to remain open.
- Small charitable trusts that deliver or enable sport and/or physical activity, that do not qualify for financial help elsewhere.
What we will fund
The fund has been developed to help sport and physical activity organisations meet the following key areas of spend:
1. Their obligations, in particular fixed costs, which are no longer fully covered with revenue as a result of Covid-19. You will need to evidence lost revenue during the lockdown that would ordinarily cover expenditure on outgoings over an extended period of time , and/or tell us the extent to which projected income levels are un likely to cover the following costs such as:
- Utility costs
- Equipment hire
- Critical maintenance costs
- Core staffing costs (including casual workers) that cannot be met elsewhere by other government funds
2. Contribute towards the costs of re-establishing activity as we come out of lockdown. You will need to tell us the extent to which projected income levels are unlikely to cover the costs of delivery. Such costs are expected to include:-
- Facility Hire
- Coaching Costs
- Equipment including sanitisation.
For example : supporting a boxing club to pay for their utility bills and other costs for their facility when no activity is taking place that would generate essential revenue
Who the fund's not able to help:
This fund is designed to help grassroots sport and physical activity providers. This means we are not able to help the following organisations with this fund.
- Schools, colleges and universities
- Leisure operators
Funding cannot be used for:
- Activities or costs which are already covered by other government funding, including rates
- Purchase on non-essential goods/equipment
- Players costs
- Directly refunding loss of forecasted income opportunities
- Any other expenditure that Luton Sports Network deem inappropriate
How much we will fund:
Funding available is extremely limited and we have therefore had to restrict the amount of available funding to each club/organisation. It is therefore expected that such funding should work alongside government support and other sources of funding.
What period will we fund:
Funding will cover identified needs and activities during the period 1st September 2020 – 31st March 2021
1. Target audience
We'll prioritise organisations whose work does one or more of the following:
- Delivers activity in deprived areas of Luton
- Works with one or more of the following groups: lower socio-economic groups, BAME, older people, those with long term health conditions, people with disabilities, and women and girls.
2. Organisations role
The organisation must have actively delivered or enabled community sport and/or physical activity in the last 12 months with Luton, and is proactively staying in touch with participants in this period.
3 Financial need
The organisation must demonstrate clear financial need as a result of the current situation. Provide details of minimum expenditure you will have to meet whilst activity isn't happening.
4. Impact of not receiving funding
The organisation can demonstrate the consequence of not receiving funding, and how this impacts on the organisation's ability to deliver sport and physical activity, with particular reference to the target groups mentioned
Key things to note
An expectation that applicants will have applied and exhausted all other government funding sources, the Sport England Emergency Fund, the Tackling Inequalities Fund through team BEDS&LUTON and any other national governing body support before applying to this fund.
Please note there is an extremely limited amount of funding available, so please only request the funding that your organisation needs. Our expectation is that organisations will only apply once to this fund to support costs they have been unable to cover from income and/or cash reserves.