1000 GP’s Pledge to parkrun on 1st June
Posted: Fri, 24 May 2019 18:27
To celebrate the first anniversary of the launch of parkrun practice, pledge to parkrun hopes to get 1,000 GPs to take part in a parkrun on 1 June 2019
The initiatives hopes to utilise the influence that healthcare professionals have on the public (1 in 4 patients would be more active if advised by a doctor and nurse).
Almost 150,000 people walk, run or volunteer at 620 parkruns across the country every Saturday morning.
What is parkrun?
- Free, weekly 5k events, every Saturday morning, in areas of open space
- 2k junior parkruns for 4-14 year olds and their families on Sunday mornings
- Over 850 locations across the UK
- Organised by local volunteer teams
- Walk, run, jog, volunteer or spectate - take part in any way that suits you
- Open to all, including those who are inactive or have health conditions or disabilities
- Opportunity to socialise, make friends and be part of a welcoming, supportive community
Involvement in this initiative will help practices:
- Improve the health and wellbeing of practice staff
- improve the health and wellbeing of patients and carers, reducing the need for lifelong medication
- Raise awareness amongst the parkrun community of services that practices provide
- Contribute to the development of a local community and environment that is centred around wellness generation
- Support the UK-wide movement to scale up social prescribing activities
If you want to find out more about this initiative please visit here
To find a parkrun in your area visit https://www.parkrun.org.uk/