Spirit of 2012: UK Events have the Power to Make Waves for Generations Proves New Research
Posted: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:58
New research from Spirit of 2012 highlights how events continue to have a positive impact long after they have ended and how they can make waves that ripple through the lives of people and communities.
Spirit of 2012's new polling reveals the continuing resonance, ten years on, of the London 2012 Games with 65% of the UK agreeing that the impact of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games can still be felt on them, their communities and the country.
Spirit of 2012 are calling for all events, big and small, to consider how they make waves from the very beginning and are inclusive to all people with a wide range of needs and interests. The public was asked to rank the positive impacts of events they have experienced:
- 44% ranked feeling more connected to other people in their top 3,
- 44% ranked feeling more proud of their community to other people in their top 3,
- 35% ranked getting to meet people from different backgrounds in their top 3,
- 28% ranked making new friends in their top 3,
- 11% ranked deciding to volunteer, or become more active in my community in their top 3.
To mark the tenth anniversary, Spirit of 2012 is calling on people across the whole of the UK to share their stories of how an event has touched their lives and made waves for years to come using the hashtag #TheEventThatChangedMe @Spiritof2012