What are Satellite Clubs?
Satellite Clubs are physical activity projects which provide inactive young people between 14-19yrs new opportunities to be active in a fun and social environment, helping to create positive experiences and promote active lifestyles. Satellite Clubs should be designed with young people's views and opinions in mind, they should be positioned to support young people through potential points of disruption in their lives. For example, around adolescence or during school and college transitions when young people are at high risk of drifting away from physical activity.
Satellite Club projects provide young people with positive and enjoyable experiences, supported by or linked to a local community sports club or physical activity opportunity (The Hub), making it easier for them to become physically active and develop regular activity habits.
We are proud to have supported the creation of over 60 Satellite Clubs across Bedfordshire between 2016-2019 and the opportunity to invest in further Satellite Clubs still remains with funding secured until March 2021.
Who are Satellite Clubs for?
Satellite Clubs are targeted at inactive young people aged between 14-19 across Bedfordshire, with the aim of supporting them to become more physically active and develop an active lifestyle. Based on Sport England's national strategy, Team BEDS&LUTON's Satellite Club programme has an overacting theme, with the intention to support young people's physical and mental wellbeing as well as community/economic development. With this in mind, the following target audience has been outlined;
- Young people with disabilities
- BAME Groups
- Young people from low socioeconomic groups
Activity provided through satellite clubs should be aligned to achieving the Chief Medical Officers recommendation of delivering moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity.
What are the benefits of being a Satellite Club Provider?
- Enhance the local sport and physical activity offering for young people across Bedfordshire.
- Raise the profile of your club or organisation.
- One to one support from Team BEDS&LUTON in establishing and sustaining your project.
- Gain valuable insight from young people within your local community- launching a project which is designed around their individual needs.
- Recruit new members and participants at your club.
- Create new links and partnerships within your local community and across Bedfordshire
What can Satellite Club Funding be used for?
- Coaching costs (Satellite Clubs must run for a minimum of 30 weeks)
- Venue Hire
- Rewards for young people such as; water bottles, T-shirts etc.
- Purchasing Equipment
- Administration costs
All cost incurred from Satellite Club Projects MUST be agreed with the Satellite Club Link Officer prior to delivery commencing.
What we need from you:
- An application form must be completed for the Satellite Club project which includes a breakdown of costings
- We require a Risk Assessment for the Satellite Club Project, your organisations Safeguarding Policy and the information of the projects deliverer
- We will require weekly Satellite Club registers to be completed for the Project and sent over to us on a regular basis
- Participants must complete a consent form before taking part in the Satellite Club Project
- Monitoring and Evaluation forms are required to be completed by participants at the start of the project and throughout
- Use of our Accident/Incident reporting procedures (where required)
Want to find out more about our Satellite Clubs or how we can support your organisation please contact Jade Horsley: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07979504616